The Carmichael Mentor Programme exists to facilitate and support the needs and concerns of CEOs, Executive Directors and Managers working in the nonprofit sector by using a panel of highly experienced mentors who will share their knowledge and expertise in a supportive and encouraging manner.
Being a leader of an organisation is tough and this is especially true of the nonprofit sector.
The skills and support of a Mentor can help CEOs, Executive Directors and Managers navigate their way through the difficulties and challenges they encounter such as funding, staffing levels, increased regulatory and compliance requirements and review of strategic plans.
Our mentoring panel comprises of highly accomplished professionals with a diverse range of disciplines, personalities and mentoring styles. With experience working in the corporate, SME, public and nonprofit sectors our mentors share their guidance, wisdom and support generously and openly.
Common themes that feature on the programme include:
- Strategic Planning
- Financial Management
- Grant Applications
- Communications & PR
- Social Media
- Website Development
- Service Delivery
Role of the Mentor
- Share knowledge and insights learned through the years.
- Listen and provide context to issues and problems.
- Assist in the exploration of consequences of potential decisions.
- Act as a sounding board.
- Provide information and feedback.
- Facilitate self-discovery.
- Challenge assumptions and perspectives.
- Encourage exploration of new ideas and alternate ways of thinking.
Role of the Mentee
- Drive the process.
- Set the agenda in line with development needs.
- Show willingness to engage.
- Be open-minded and listen.
- Seek opportunities to put new knowledge into practice.
- Practice taking different viewpoints and perceptions.
- Be honest, especially about strengths and weaknesses.
Benefits to Mentor
- An opportunity to “give something back” by sharing expertise in a supportive and encouraging manner.
- An opportunity to learn and gain insights from a different type of organisation and activity.
- Expand his/her network to other mentors and mentees.
- Gain extra skills in communication and understanding.
Benefits to Mentee
- An opportunity to explore his/her strengths, weaknesses & ambitions in confidence with someone who has “been there before”.
- A source of challenge to his/her assumptions about the job, how it should be done or addressed.
- Growth in self-confidence, self-awareness and self-development.
- An informal audience to try out new ideas and approaches before presenting them to colleagues or to the Board of Directors.
- Opportunity to learn from someone else’s mistakes.
- Insights into decision-making processes and structures of other organisations.
The programme is provided free of charge. The mentoring period typically involves 6-8 sessions over a 7-9 month period with approximately 2 hours per session.
Each mentoring round is limited to 8 places. If you are interested in participating in the scheme or would like more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The programme is only available to those working in the nonprofit sector.
Next Application Date